Thursday, March 12, 2009

Planning shopping trips

In the last several months, we have seen a significant decrease in the amount of money we spend on household items and groceries. This is due to my use of coupons and sale prices to find the best deals. Some weeks we may just buy fruits, vegetables, bread, milk and meat since our pantry is very stocked with the basics. I take out $100/week cash for all of our food, personal and household expenses, and most weeks I spend less than that!

The local groceries (Kroger and Marsh) send out their weekly ad on Wednesday. I scour it thoroughly and write down the best deals. Then I go through my coupon binder and pull out the coupons that match the sales. Recently I found Pilsbury Pizza dough (usually around $3.00/roll) for .75/roll, so I bought four!

On Thursday, I check out the emails sent to me by Coupons.com and Smartsource.com and print any coupons that will match the grocery or CVS sales. I also look at the upcoming CVS flyer to plan my Sunday CVS trip. At CVS I try to pick up at least two Sunday newspapers as well as the best weekly deals. I sometimes buy items that we need in order to get my subtotal up to be able to use the $5/$25 that I usually get from the coupon machine.

On Friday, I plan the dinner meals for the following week and check the pantry to see if we need anything for our daughter's lunch. Thankfully she does not like to buy lunch at school and we can certainly feed her for less than $2.75/meal (the current cost of school lunch!).

Thankfully, our Marsh, Kroger and CVS are at the same intersection so if we need to we can stop at all three stores while out.

No comments: